Rob Storum of In Tha Zone Images followed Ski Racing NSW down to Kanahooka for Grand Prix day which included F1, F2 and Juniors in hot and gale force conditions.
The 2009 Dr Wrap Winner is Greg Bassam!
At the 2009 Worlds in Belgium, crossing over the bow of a fellow competitor’s boat Greg tripped and fell on to a highly polished deck and failed to gain a hold and consequently fell fully clothed into the canal.
In 1996, Dr Wrap entered the water ski racing world as the leading agony uncle for ski racers. He had a regular page in Britain’s Water Ski Racer magazine and dealt with the problems of everyone from novice to world champion. Who will be presented with this prestieous award tomorrow night in Oxfrd at the British Water Ski Racing Dinner & Dance? – there are many nominees!
Derek Blackmore writes about other contenders:
Who failed Scrutineering at Lyme first National Race having lent it to someone at a previous regional?
Boat not starting at Allhallows Selection Race
Leading race & Ran out of Fuel at WSM on last lap
At Belgium Worlds who Gave db ear bashing for bringing a fridge that was blowing electrics only to discover it was his own tow a van electrics faulty
Greg Bassam & Team Taylor at Stone Ran out of fuel with Jack about to win his first f2 race reason given sold boat and didn’t want to leave to much fuel in it
Almost sinking at Torquay No Bung in
Who left the trail of devastation from Crook’s Peak with the Welsh Constabulary following the trail of trailer parts and then handing over to the Avon Constabulary when they crossed the border and following the trail to Rooks Bridge could it have been
Purchased a New Trailer and damaged it twice Belgium and France
Who forgot to fix bow tank filler and nearly sank boat
Who Filled the Optimax with Diesel and blew up the engine
History of Dr Wrap
In late 1996, Dr Wrap had a trophy made which has been awarded every year since at the British National Annual Dinner and Dance. The recipient is generally the person who makes the biggest fool of themselves on the ski racing circuit.
A list of recipients is below.
1996 Chris Cole
1997 Rob Manchett
1998 Darren ‘Hass’ Cook
1999 Jason Russell
2000 Jayne Durrant
2001 Kelly Turner
2002 Kirk Team Shattered
2003 Pete Kirk
2004 Glen Manchett
2005 Tim Mayers & Derek Blackmore
2006 Damon Eastwood
2009 Greg Bassam
2010 Harvey Robinson (update received)
2012 Tom Smith (update received)
Roger Lincoln will be doing another run of the worlds DVD for Christmas.
The 48th Bridge to Bridge was run on the weekend in atrocious conditions and was won by Stinga in a time of 44.34.
The SRV web page has been updated with:
• the 2010 Robinvale entry form, ready for you to download
• Classified have been updated
• Victorian Titles – don’t forget entries close this Wednesday 25th November – No Late Entries
• Victorian Titles – Business Kerang will be sponsoring a show n shine on Friday 4th December in Township of Kerang from 3.00pm to 5.00pm. Prize money on offer with a first prize of $700. Anyone who is interested in attending needs to contact Michael Brooks on 0418 356 802 or email email@example.com by no later than Tuesday 1st December. This will help verify numbers for the organizers in Kerang. It will be great to see boats get involved with this event and help support Kerang township for putting it together to promote our sport.
Well the Barrie Beehas Ski Race is over for another year. All results are available via the Southern 80 web page www.southern80.com.au
Some thoughts on the event:
• Blazen from Qld won the event in a record time of 23:16, the team of driver Noel Griffin, Observer Bernard Simpson and skiers Chris Stout & Grant Turner were the skiers
• 9 records were broken
• In the 6 litre class the top 4 boats broke the class record
• Records were broken in the Unlimited class , Blazen 23:16.0; 8 Litre Sportspage 24.40.18;6 Litre Mojo 25.44.22, Shady Ace 26.56.22, Toey As 27.08.02, Sythetic 27.12.26; SMOC Expert Stalker Evinrude 28.57.4, Evinrude Racing 28.59.08; Under 16 Boys & Girls Revenge 27.12.93
• There were no reported injuries
• Hellrazor, winner for the past 3 years, had engine trouble in the first leg of the race and withdrew.
• Local Boat – The Mistress was first to the turnaround point, but with drew at Torrumbarry due to engine troubles
• Fastest Local competitor was Greg Watts (Shepparton) observe ring in the boat Fastcash.
• There were about 1000 people at Deep Creek Marina to see the boats leave and return home again.
• 132 boats fronted the starter
• There were hundreds of people on the banks between Deep Creek Marina and Torrumbarry Weir.
Don’t forget that the entry forms for the 2010 Club Marine Southern 80 can be downloaded now from the Southern 80 web page.
Entry forms for the 2010 Club Marine Southern 80 are now available on the Southern 80 web page Entry’s close on the 31st December, so please do not leave it till the last minute to get your SRA membership organized and get your entry in.
The 2010 Australian Speed & Marathon Championships take place between January 11th and 16th on beautiful Lake Jindabyne.
The Barrie Beehag ski race is conducted by the Moama Water Sports Club, in conjunction with Murray Rivers Edge and Deep Creek Marina Hotel; as a memorial to past President, Director & Life Member, Barrie Beehag.
The start / finish of the Barrie Beehag Ski Race is at Deep Creek Marina; which will see the first boat starting at 10am. Briefing for the competitors is at 7.30am and the Deep Creek Marina site will have on-site catering, plenty of activities for the kids such as jumping castle, face painting and lucky dips. Once all the boat have started their journey to Torrumbarry Weir, there will be an on-water display of wakeboarding, air-chairs and barefoot skiing. Entry to the Deep Creek Marina is $2 per person or $5 per family
The first boat away is Hellrazor, the past winner for the previous three years. The team of Mark Cranny, Damian Matthews, Paul Robertson & Peter Proctor will lead the Unlimited Inboard and Outboard class which a record of 27 entries. Local Echuca boat The Mistress is next away. Fastcash, who led the event at the halfway mark last year is third away. Blazen & Burnin – both from Queensland make the top 5.
During racing, results will be updated on the Southern 80 twitter – http://twitter.com/southern80 Full results and pictures will be available on the Southern 80 web site after racing has finished (www.southern80.com.au )
The 2010 Club Marine Southern 80 is to take place on 12th, 13th & 14th February 2010. Entry forms for this event will be available online at www.southern80.com.au from Friday 13th November. These entries close on Thursday 31st December 2009.
It is rumoured that Queensland, Australia will get to host the 2011 World Championships. As that has never happened before it will be a great change to see the event in the sunshine state.
As most people would already know, in January this year, I was involved in a tragic accident on the M7 motorway, which claimed the life of mine & everybodies great friend, Dave Morris.
Sunday 29th November – (Sunday after Bridge to Bridge) @ Kanahooka Reserve – 1st of 3 races to be held